VFA.facility Basic Training classes are conducted by VFA professional education staff in our Boston training facility. Our state-of-the-art classrooms can accommodate up to 10 students. Enrollment is on a first-come first-serve basis with special arrangements for dedicated classes available.
VFA.facility Basic Training is intended to enable users to effectively utilize the Facility Condition Assessment (FCA) data housed within the VFA.facility software. This training class consists of a two-day training session; comprised of lecture, demonstrations and hands-on student exercises. Students will be taught how to efficiently utilize and leverage their Facility Condition Assessment data, as well as how to use the VFA.facility software as a dynamic tool for planning, budgeting and project prioritization.
The first day of class focuses on understanding the Asset database information. The VFA Instructor will demonstrate how the database is structured and how the assessment data is populated and updated within the VFA.facility Asset database. This session will focus on understanding the different types of information gathered during a Facility Condition Assessment, how that information is classified, and where it lives in the Asset database. The session also explores the various benchmarks and metrics and explains how they are calculated (Replacement Value, Renewal Costs, the Facility Condition Index (FCI) and the Requirements Index (RI).
The second day of the class focuses on leveraging the Asset database information via Reporting and Data Analysis techniques; This session includes setting up and running basic Reports, interpreting the results of those Reports, creating and analyzing “what if” Funding scenarios, a demonstration of how to develop a Pairwise Ranking Strategy to prioritize your projects and create a Capital Budget, as well an introduction to the Homepage Dashboards and VFA FacilityView.
All of the students in the class will be provided with a VFA.facility Basic Training Guide, which will be used during the class to guide the students through a variety of hands-on exercises. The students will also be provided with a training environment to be used during the class for hands-on activities, which will be based upon a generic copy of the VFA Facility Condition Assessment data. This training environment will also be made available to the students for 30 days after the end of the training class so that the students can practice what they have learned during the class, using both the training environment and the VFA.facility Basic Training Guide.
Understanding the Asset Database
- Summary of the Facility Condition Assessment (FCA) process
- Setting up your Computer and reviewing the Software features
- Basic Navigation and the Database Hierarchy
- Utilizing Productivity Tools – Sorting, Filtering, Column Layouts and Favorites
- Review of the Facility Condition Assessment Data Records
- Key Concepts – FCI and RI Calculations; Replacement and Renewal Costs
- Understanding the RSMeans-based Cost Estimates
- Overview of the Data Maintenance process
Capital Planning & Budgeting
- Understanding Report Options and Selection Criteria
- Analyzing the Database via Reports
- Constructing Ad-Hoc Queries
- Creating and Analyzing What-if Funding Scenarios
- Developing a Ranking Strategy and creating a Capital Budget (demonstration)
- Using Dashboards and VFA FacilityView
All participants should:
- Possess basic Internet and Microsoft Windows navigation skills
- Have previously used Microsoft Word and Excel or other similar programs
- Have an understanding of facility management concepts and topics
- Be familiar with cost estimating concepts. A background in cost-estimation is required for users wishing to build new RSMeans-based cost estimates.
TRAINING CANCELLATION POLICY
Should the Company (or Participant) cancel attendance at a Training Session less than five (5) business days prior to the date that such engagement was scheduled to commence, the Company shall pay VFA one hundred percent (100%) of the Training Session fees.
Should the Company (or Participant) cancel attendance at a Training Session less than ten (10) business days prior to the date that such engagement was scheduled to commence, the Company shall pay VFA fifty percent (50%) of the Training Session fees.
*VFA reserves the right to cancel a class if a minimum number of participants have not confirmed three weeks prior to the start of the class.