Enabling Proactive Management of Capital Spending at Baptist Health System
Baptist Health System is one of the largest healthcare systems in Alabama. It includes hospitals in six counties, nine senior housing facilities, and the state’s largest primary care network. One of the state’s largest employers, Baptist Health has approximately 5,000 staff members and 1,500 physicians on the hospitals’ medical staff.
Previously, Baptist Health’s various facilities submitted capital requests using different budget and requisition processes. It was difficult for the organization to ensure capital spending was aligned with organizational priorities. There was often too large a gap between when a need was identified and when a purchase was completed, and it was difficult to keep department heads apprised of the status of their requests. Budget overages resulted from lack of involvement by key support areas, including Materials Management. A time-consuming budget reporting process resulted in reports that were often out-dated as soon as they were created.
Baptist selected VFA.spendManager™ to support more proactive management of capital spending. With VFA.spendManager, Baptist was able to stratify its capital requests and get a capital approval process up and running in 45 days, enabling:
- An improved planning structure that brought higher quality data
- Increased stakeholder involvement in contributing to budget estimates, promoting greater accuracy and relevancy of projections
- The prioritization of capital needs relative to one another and with respect to the health system’s business strategy
Once Baptist Health began using VFA.spendManager’s controls and requisition services, the organization saw further enhancements in budget reporting, purchase consolidation, reconciliation of budgeted and actual expenditures, and cash and depreciation forecasting.
Now using VFA.spendManager to control a budget of over $55 million, Baptist has experienced significant improvements.
- Appropriate support areas are involved in the planning process, allowing Baptist Health to develop realistic numbers for the budget.
- All involved parties know the status of a project, and Materials Management is proactively involved.
- Quote and analysis procedures are enforced prior to the execution of a purchase order.
Contact us to learn more about VFA.