By Ameeta Soni, Chief Marketing Officer, VFA, Inc.
With Facilities Capital Planning and Management, a structured and consistent approach is key. Ideally, a facilities manager has a process in place to gather objective analytical information regarding facility condition, enabling the organization to:
- Pinpoint exactly where repairs and upgrades need to be made
- Calculate the estimated costs of those requirements
- Prioritize the requirements according to the organization’s objectives
- Run funding scenarios that demonstrate the impact of different spending levels
- Develop a capital plan and budget that will sustain the facilities and support their function for years to come
Step one is to define the process itself – a facilities management team must agree upon the key strategic goals that will guide the capital planning and management process, based on organizational objectives and expectations about the future.
Does your team agree on a process for:
- Defining goals?
- Establishing evaluation criteria?
- Collecting relevant data?
- Communicating results?
- Measuring success?
This is just the first step. Stay tuned.